Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fire Pit

This was another rabbit trail... or in my opinion buried treasure.  I found these stones buried around the house as I was cleaning up to paint.  The house I moved into is absolutely adorable, with wood floors and beautiful ceiling flans but it's a fixer up and needs a lot of love... which is what I'm good at.  You can see another project here, my in ground trampoline.

Anyway,  we are big country folks stuck in the city so we had to have a fire pit.  We had a little one at first but when we put in the trampoline we had to move it, which of course was a good reason to make it bigger.  It's not finished yet though.  I had this brilliant idea to mosaic the whole fire pit, using the stones.... then after I had started making it..... I found out concrete can explode when heated to much... So I have to alter my plans a little, wait for some more spending money to come my way and then I can finish it but so far it's only cost me a couple bags of concert.  I am debating on wither to spend the money on fire clay or just mosaic the sides of the pit to keep the walls from caving in. I have also never worked with concert in a mosaic before so in the process  the stones dulled out a bit. The stones are porous so they absorbed the concert.  The kids had fun busting up the stones and play with the wet concert. Would have taking a pic with the kids but something about touching my camera with concert all over my hands....

Enjoy,
Momma

No comments: