Saturday, May 21, 2011

In Ground Trampoline

This is our in ground trampoline. This was not my idea originally. We original got it from a do it yourself book in Lowe's/Home Depot. When we decided to proceed with said project we googled it, gotta love the internet, and came up with this guy. He did such a wonderful job of laying out the step by step directions. I might have been able to figure it out on my own but he made it sooo much easier. Except for digging... the website didn't help out much for that one, he hole was already dug.... LOL. Yes, I did dig the hole myself... why was I that crazy... same reasoning I do everything else. I worked with what I had and a shovel was what I had to work with.. not a back hoe.

This guy did a good job as well, a little cheaper then the way we went. Not as labor intensive.

This was also a good school project, (this is were unschooling comes into play) Lil Momma went through and did the math (with me)  to figure out how to build the wall supports.  While digging the hole one day we had an entire conversation about probability.  Which started from the question, "Mom are you really gonna be able to dig this hole?"  She also designed a sand box... had to do something with all that dirt...learned how to drawl to scale, had a chance to apply all those boring multiplication tables to real life stuff, perimeter, area, etc...  

Enjoy,
Momma



P.S. The gap is not as big as it looks but it can be fixed... go here to see how he did it....besides it helps with the air flow and as soon as grass starts to grow and mulch gets put down around it... it wont look so ugly.  I also didn't follow his steps completely.... that using what you have thing, well we didn't have all that he had...and still we got it done. 

Disclaimer
You might also find that people disagree with the in ground trampoline idea because of "safety" for the trampoline.  There is the chance of wood rot, which would weaken the walls that hold back the dirt.  My opinion, it's the same kind of maintenance you would preform on any structure you build.  There is also complaints that it cause "Dead Air" underneath the trampoline which decreases the ability of the jumper.  I have to agree, I have noticed that, but it's not a bad thing.  Hubby can still get on the trampoline and do a front/backwards flip.  I also choose to not use a net, that's just me, not saying it's the smart thing to do or that you should do it.

No comments: